Friday, September 22, 2006

The Nilgiris Mountain Railway

It's been long since I have written a blog, infact written anything at all. To get rid of the feeling of being annoyed with myself about not updating, here's my attempt to get back to something I loved doing- Blogging!!!!

Last November, I had been to Ooty. It was a desperate effort to make a journey to some place near/far and get away from the basic routine. Ooty is a hot favourite for most Bangaloreans as it is the nearest hill station to the city. So, without thinking twice, I proceeded with my plan. The only thing, I looked forward was to do something different this time around, at Ooty.

Keeping this in mind, I headed to take one of the most coveted journeys in the Indian terrain.....to take a train journey from Ooty to Coonoor...to travel by the "Nilgiris Mountain Railway". The ‘Nilgiris toy train’ connects Ooty to mettupalayam, a town at the foot of the Nilgiris.

It's an awesome experience. I got to enjoy some breathtaking sceneries, it's a ride in the clouds with fresh air surrounding you.

















































The train paces only at about 10kms an hour, passing through tunnels, bridges, tea plantations, the nilgiris trees, small towns....it's a scene which you wouldn't forget for years to come.




























I would say, it's worth going on this tour-a very different experience, very refreshing feeling. Next time, I would like to take the complete tour. Check out more -

9 comments:

  1. Even I had a wonderful experience with this Ooty-Coonoor,Nilgiri Railways.The pics here looks awesome,Very experienced hands.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Divya,
    I too had been n the mountainn train recently... It was real fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello elli hogidhira.... blog maadi plz....

    ReplyDelete
  6. visit my veb site related to kerala tribal communities.

    www.agastyakerala.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip experience. The Nilgiri Mountain Railway that chugs at about 10.4 km per hour is made for those who are not in a hurry. Perhaps, the slowest train in the whole of India, it connects Ooty to Mettupalayam, which lies at the foothills of the Nilgiris. It's one of the rare trains which still runs on locomotive engines built by Swiss Locomotive Works. Check out all mountain railways in India also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments. Nice link that. Some day I would love to ride all of them :)

      Delete