Sunday, April 14, 2013

Bridging the Gap


I like bridges and this post is all about the why and where and the what about it. 

I admit it's a bit silly to be writing about 'these are a few of my favourite things', but here we go.

I have always been fascinated by bridges. Somewhere in all the travels around India I figured out my love for it....from simple pleasures of walking across a foot bridge to being on a train and hearing the rattling sound while crossing the bridges, to throwing a coin from the bridge to the river beneath,  there was something that excited me about the engineering marvel in every bridge.
Every person who has spent some good time with me and have been at a place where there was a bridge would know my craze for it.
I don't have many pictures of the bridges in India, a visit to Calcutta is pending and I wish for it some day to see the Howrah. But here are some of the others captured by me.


Bosphorous Bridge, Istanbul - The significance of this bridge is that it connects mainland Europe to mainland Asia. Yes. We don't want to talk about borders and countries and communities,but that's exactly what a bridge does - fills the gap!

 Pont Alexander III, Paris - Just like cakes can be decorated, this bridge reminds me of decoration - beautiful street lamps, the many sculptures on either ends; it's perhaps the most decorated bridges I have ever seen. It's a transforms completely when lit. 
 Rialto Bridge, Venice - One of the most picture perfect bridges It's just so cute...for the lack of a better word. It also has little shops on either sides - guess a very Italian way in constructing bridges in yesteryear.
 Tower Bridge, London - My note on this cannot do justice to how pretty this looks, both by day and night.   It's one of the most beautiful sights in this city and watching it go up is a sight in itself. Can't stop clicking pictures of this. 
 Ponte Vecchio, Florence - It may come across as a very dull bridge, but the beauty lies on either side of it while crossing it, a pedestrian bridge lined with jewellery shops. Very Unique. 

Palladian Bridge, Bath - The guide notes mentioned that there are only 3 such bridges in the world. 

Kapellbrücke /Chapel Bridge, Lucerne - A footbrige which has a diagonal twist along the river. It's also got many paintings all along the interiors and the row of flower basket makes it unique. Never seen anything like this before. 

I now wish I had clicked a picture of every other one I have visited and I am holding myself from putting up every bridge in London here. I do love crossing bridges and I wish there were such bridges between human hearts and minds. Everything would have been so simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment