Monday, July 08, 2013

Love of Faith

Two different thoughts having a connection somewhere and intertwined in certain ways are enveloping my mind. One is 'God', the Almighty - the supernatural power as HE's known. The other is  Religion, a belief that one can have in a culture, in rituals & customs, and probably a 'being'. I understand that it's a pretty sensitive topic to write about and publish. 
This can be frowned upon, might not be 'politically right' , may also come across as being naive and may sound really 'cheap' to talk about religions and customs and culture and following a faith.
This is not something about what's right and what's wrong, I bet pens more mightier than mine can talk about all this. 
This blog is here to put together my thoughts about the subject and not to make a point. 

I have been brought up at a home where culture, faith and religion was given a lot of importance. Though we are, as we term 'modern' in our outlook, there are a lot of things driven by the Faith we follow. For example, A celebration of a festival is never missed. If someone invites us to a religious gathering, it is never skipped. We were taught never to say no to a prasad from the Lord. We planned going to temples far and near as much as a Holiday and looked forward to it as much as any other huge vacation that was planned. Being brought up in a Hindu family,all my views, my ideas, the culture that I have known is mainly around Hinduism.

I studied at a Christian School and that exposed me to a bit of Christianity.  I didnt actively do much to learn about it, may be it was the age. Whether I made any attempt in understanding anything or not, I was happily reciting 'Our Father in Heaven...' at least 8 times a day at the start and end of a class. A friend of mine and me used to go to the Church in our school once every week as we were told that it was a good thing to do and also used to take a small leaf from the shrub outside the church as it was considered holy. (Looking back at it today, it was plain simple ragging that we went through from our seniors) 

Growing up in a country like India where there is such diversity of faith and being in a system where everyone knows, if not in entirety a bit about each others ways of life only enhanced the thoughts that ran through my mind about the subject.  
I got married and started living in the western world. The thoughts about religion and caste is never brought in front very often. No one talks about it. Period. It has to be a specific sort of a discussion to be discussing, exchanging ideas about culture and customs. Festivals hardly have a very religious side to it, or even if it does, for the sake of convenience no one follows it. 

Some people I have come across here told me that they wished they had some faith to follow, some belief in faith. Though they have their religions, they have never been keen on taking it seriously or have wanted to know more and do something that brings them close to it.  
Some others are on the other end where they are happy to embrace a completely different religion as the principles of that religion is close to what they think is right, personally. They either adopted it as a parallel religion to their own or take it up completely as their own.
Both these views were quite new to me. The majority of the people I came across back home were those who were brought up in one religion and have either believed in it and Lived their life following it, If not, atleast they have stayed in the same faith without considering any other. There is no real 'Personal' view or opinion that is considered. Some sheep mentality here. 

The third aspect is that of 'no belief in God'. I can barely remember anyone I knew saying that aloud back home even if they didn't really believe in it. Of course, needless to say,here in the western world it is perfectly a normal thought not to believe. After all, it's left to the individual to decide what they do and don't, what they like and dislike, what they believe and not believe in life. Perhaps shows how narrow my circle is. 

London exposed me to ethnicity in a whole new angle. Again, when I say London I perhaps can include the Western World or a place away from Home. India perhaps has many ethnicities however it is broken down as sub-castes which leaves a completely different.... odd idea to it. 
In my small office circle we have people from different places and ethnicities that it was interesting to see their perspective towards one another. First of all this is not a subject that is spoken about. No one is really keen to get into this topic as it can get delicate. However, each of them are aware of little happenings in the others community and there was a quick note of wishes or a quick chat about what they do on a specific day or an auspicious occasion. 

It's a huge change I see in me. I feel totally happy  to visit a Church and light a candle, offer my prayer. I am happy to be a part of the Sai Baba Community - which I had never been to in Bangalore - except for my special trip to Shirdi. I like strolling into the Radha-Krishna temple from Iskon and look into the Hare Krishna clan or take a peep into a Synagogue or a Mosque.
It's not about belief or not, It's not about following something- however, it's about a sense of being at Peace and I can easily say that this Love of Faith that I have developed here has brought Peace to me, I feel close to my roots  and I am Happy that I feel connected to Humanity which is above all religions at the same time enjoy the variety that is brought together. 

2 comments: