Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Cheat's Cookery - Potato Cutlets

Well! According to me this isn't cheating, but having known so many people back home who prepare every component of this dish at home I'd resign to calling mine cheats cookery as many things are shop bought in my case.

Ok....now that I have got my foreword out of the system I'll write about my potato cutlet saga. 

All I wanted to prepare for the evening meal was a simple aloo jeera with a few spices - cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, some turmeric and salt to taste and serve this as a chunky potato side dish. What I however ended up with were overboiled potatoes and so it was a masala mash that ended up with in my pan. It also was extremely spicy - you see I love spicy food so much that I went a bit over board this time.

I thought of making cutlets out of these immediately and chopped a whole lot of onions, carrots, got my peas and ginger mince ready. After the prepping up I decided to make it with just the potatoes and not add anything else - mainly coz the quantity was so much that it would have been enough for 6-8 people.

Ingredients:
Potato mix- 
Potatoes - boiled and over boiled works just fine!
Jeera powder
Chilli powder
Cumin powder
Turmeric
Salt to taste
Seasoning - oil, cumin, mustard, asaphoetida 
Coriander 

Chutneys to serve (the cheat factor) 
Green chutney - mother's recipe's Bombay sandwich chutney has got me completely
Date & tamarind chutney
Sweet chilli sauce - not a great option but my cutlets were so spicy that I thought. It would help.

Prepping the Cutlets-
Corn Flour - 2tbsp (add water to thin it)
Breadcrumbs  (the cheat factor)

How I made it:
I made nice big patties out of my potato mix and dunked them in corn flour, rubbed them against bread crumbs and toasted them on either sides and voila! My cutlets were ready.




How I enjoyed it:
I served them with all my chutneys and as it still was extremely spicy I finished it off with a dollop of curd/yogurt. This made a perfect anytime snack, I had one during tea, another as my evening snack and couple of them for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment