Wednesday, January 02, 2013

There's No Science to Superstitions


Being brought up at a home that held together 3 generations was a great experience to learn all things Old and New. Having grandparents around always ensured that we do the right thing at the right time. You know what I mean -see when Rahu Kala is, see what time of the day it is, see what day of the week it is before you attempt to do anything! This got imbibed in me whether I wanted it or not.
Of course my family also thought that I should get a modern education and sent me to a fairly good school. Through my schooling years all I remember was how happy my dad used to be when I scored well in Science or Maths, nothing else really mattered.
This was a game of Superstitions Vs Science in my mind....Still unsure which won! I do see the former having a better hold as the latter never questioned. I am not too good at Science. I will stick to talking about Superstitions....fits the flow of my blog of random musings.
A few to list:
  • Stop playing outdoor sports (in ajji's words they were stop jumping up and down) after sunset. She said that the Mother Earth would have gone to sleep and we shouldn't disturb her....God! What about all the night clubs, Glad that she isn't the person brings rules to them.
  • Don't cut your hair. Period. If you really have to then don't do it on the days of the festivals( I follow that), don't do it on Fridays and some other days of the week. In certain months, it's not allowed to get one on any day!
  • Don't buy something big on Tuesday's (I admit, that I tend to follow this one too!). It could be anything, from a car, to some gold jewellery to a mobile phone. Rahu Kala is something we not only follow but are very serious about. Lets say we need to travel and the ideal time to leave home to catch the train or the flight falls within the Rahu Kala...what do we do? Simple...Take your packed bag, go to your neighbour's house and leave it there. They are of course totally get it! 
  • A black cat crossing your path is bad...something not so good will happen. There are some people who also have deeper ideas about the direction in which it crosses you. Well...what can be done about this one...simple again. Turn around and face the opposite direction of your travel and stay there a few seconds. Now you're ready to go ahead.
  • Cutting nails at night is inauspicious - I never asked why?
  • Taking things with your left hand isn't good as you might lose it something.
  • Seeing a broomstick or slippers first thing in the morning isn't lucky, your day might go bad. Well....I am not too happy if that’s the first thing I get to see in the morning!
  • While combing my hair if the comb fell off my mother always mentioned that someone might visit us at home that day.
  • Choking on food while eating a meal always meant someone's remembering you.
  • Never speak about dreams that you saw while eating a meal - Never asked why?
  • Asking someone who’s leaving home about where they are going is totally frowned upon.
I am sure there are many others, I wanted to write only about the funny ones and if I remember any more will update it here.


2 comments:

  1. You can add onti seenu to the list :-). My mom follows many others. Just for eg.some veggies /combo of few are not cooked on certain days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I forgot that one! Onti seenu....haha! I bet there are 100's of things if I have to list them all here :)Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete