Friday, August 16, 2013

On the Run

Living in one of the global cities such as London is quite synonymous to always being on the run.  A fast paced life that it is here one doesn't have a choice but to run.

Funny that a few years ago when I was home in India watching the Hollywood movies (with English subtitles) , the likes of Stepmom, Notting Hill, You've got Mail (now you know the trend here) I wondered how cool it is to be living in a huge city, getting ready to head to work (like you own the world), pretty much what the million other people around you are doing, grabbing a coffee from the local cafe and literally running with it. Phew! How stupid was I to think this was cool. God! this is the crazy routine that I have today and was 'blessed without' years ago when I started work back home. Well... to be honest there is a method in the madness, it's not all that bad you know.... it just has to be the right time in your life and not for too many years (tending towards moving on). 

Many times on my commute to and from work, I can't help but laugh at the little things I come across, the routine run of the people around me, the craziness of the transport system and the mundane emotionless faces that you see on your journeys. I can go on about this in another blog post (May be...) 
Well... It's a city on the move, a life on the move and all's actually good when things are moving,  isn't it. 

The other side to the 'run' is the actual habit of going for a run, though it comes across as something that is not forced onto you, the city you live in, the people around you, the lifestyle does influence you a lot. 
Athletics was never on my list of favourite sport. I don't remember enjoying the idea about running, sprinting, long jump, High jump  all that happened to be typical 'sports day' activities back in school, which of course were a far cry for me. I remember making stories of how unwell I was or how I just hurt myself just a couple of days before the event so I didn't have to take part. Some bad on my school's part too which seemed like they did a huge favour in giving you a tiny chance. (which I think I have mentioned earlier, but here I go again)

I had pretty much convinced myself that I only need to run when I am chased, of course by something which had a chance to hurt me. Yes!  Did that ever really happen in my life? Cannot recollect! 
I also had no sense of competition to run a race, beat someone, set a mark.  Wow, some points for being enthusiastic about aiming high. 
Why Bother! was my favourite statement. Little did I know that would change. 

I need to give credit to my husband who initially got me into this habit of running. I remember dreading the weekends as the morning ritual was to go out for a run, he having completed it 10-15 mins before and looking out for me trod along. 
I remember HIM telling me that he has never seen me sprint,  my answer being why I should I be doing anything like that.i.e. you would never see me doing anything like that. 
He commented that I don't seem to have the stance of a runner (someone in flight, LOL!), I used to just about manage, could barely breathe, each step being painful ..... I did call it running though!

Unfortunately, Fitness is not a destination, it's as much a journey as anything else and I cant help but repeat this to myself. I am keen to go out for my run and I actually look forward to it.  Just Imagine! 
Many factors that I think has helped me shape my attitude towards this regime to be on the run:

- My husband who thinks being fit and healthy is all there is to a human. 
- The Apps on the mobile - Nike + Running, Endomondo which got me started
- The City of London that I call home now, if not for the beautiful parks and locales I would not have had the drive. 
- The weather (mostly) being cold. Yes! God help those who run in 27+degC, I find it totally hard. 
- Little challenges that I set for myself. I'm not such a great person to not live by goals... they are what keep me going.

It still seems so funny yet weird to be saying and doing something that you never thought you would. How things change.....
Ok! That's it for now.. gotta run! 

No comments:

Post a Comment