Saturday, August 24, 2013

London Diaries - Market Hop - Borough Market


If there is one thing that I constantly think about other than near and dear ones is 'Food' . I have mostly been a foodie, I enjoy the sight, the thought, the smell, the taste of food and experimenting with it so much that I often think about what I want for lunch and dinner while sipping my morning coffee. Yeah....I know what you're thinking. Pathetic!  
I have used the word 'craving' so many times that no one gets any ideas about it any more. (You know what ideas I am talking about....A 30+ year old, being married for a while now...Yes, That!) 

London is best for its markets (among a few other things). I read somewhere that there are more than 150 markets in London alone. One of them being Borough Market is synonymous with Food and for those who know the Foodie in me will know exactly why I drool over this place and what makes me write about it. 

This place was what made me wish, for the very first time and I admit it that I was a Non-Vegetarian, that I ate meat. The place did not succeed in making me one, but I (not so secretly anymore) wish that I could taste it all!

This market has a lot of character. It sits in a very miss-able spot under the train tracks of the London Bridge Station, beside Southwark Cathedral. The entrance to the market is through small alleyways or a staircase which looks like it will take you down a conservatory. 
I'm sure guide books about London would give you a much glamorous description of the setting and I'll spare you from that.

Most of the Vendors there are either farmers, people who own small businesses - cottage industry-like, people who are passionate about food and who wanted to convert their home-recipe to a commercial venture. Basically,it feels like everyone there enjoys food and the buzz about it. 

It's hard to say which section of the market is better... The stalls selling varieties of cheese, pickles, olives, oils, cakes, chocolates making you stop by to have a taste. The grocery section laying out a vibrant display of fresh fruit & veg, some of whose names I wouldn't know or wonder how one would cook them. The fresh food market selling a variety of cuisine...raclette, falafel wraps, burgers, pies, Paella. The wine section with its vast display of booze from the vineyards of the old and new world. I don't know what I love the most about the place. You might have noticed me conveniently missing the oyster bars, the sea food section, the hog roasts and the barbecue stalls here. 

It's a brilliant way to spend a Saturday morning/afternoon,though the place can get pretty crowded. Of course for me,  I don't mind the crowd, it's just people like you and me who makes the crowd, isn't it? 

I'd love to take anyone who visits me here to Borough.... Not everyone would get the hoo haa about it, but you know you just need to be a food lover. London does offer many such unique markets but this definitely tops my list. I probably have a zillion pictures I have taken of this place saved across 3 laptops and 2 hard drives, being too lazy to pick, sort, select and upload I have chosen some random ones to give you a feel for the place. 

If you are in London, do yourself a favour and visit Borough Market on a Saturday (sunny day would be great, but not worth waiting for it in this city) ....you won't regret the trip! 

The collage is a view of most of the sign boards. I ended up going there on a day the market was closed and I could read all the boards and quotes on the walls which are otherwise covered by the stalls. 


You got to have the Borough Market Chocolate Brownie or any other sweet pastry or cake for sure here



Nibble on a piece of cheese or two



Taste a chutney, pickle, jam or mustard...something....





And pack some goodness back home..



2 comments:

  1. I love food,love meat,was in London... Bloody you took me everywhere but Borough.how mean is that :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really don't know how and why I missed that, the only reason may be that I didn't know well about this place. So... This is another reason you can visit me here.

    ReplyDelete